These days, it seems like a lot of our clients want their employees to know how to coach. They throw words around like "we want a coaching culture" or "our people need coaching skills if they want to lead today's talent more effectively".
BLOG: Extraordinary Leadership and High Functioning Teams
We all have a trigger that can render us to act in a childish, unbecoming, rude or even hostile manner. Mine is with “tech difficulties.” Admittedly, I am not very tech savvy. Typically I am self-aware enough and do a good job of managing my emotions and reactions around this.
As a current leader in a company today, you know how hard it is to find talent who can grow into bigger roles, or take on more responsibility. You may have talent who needs to step up and help lead a new change in direction. It sounds simple, ask the talent you have to find a way to do more or to stretch and grow. Yet, the singlest biggest problem we get asked to help solve today? Help organizations develop leaders who believe in developing others.
Last month we invited colleagues and clients to complete a survey identifying what had the greatest impact on their career success. With over 100+ leaders weighing in, the winner with one-third of the votes was "I had a supportive boss."
- "A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way."—John C. Maxwell
- "Become the kind of leader that people would follow voluntarily; even if you had no title or position." —Brian Tracy
- "Leadership is influence." —John C. Maxwell
- "The key to successful leadership today is influence, not authority." —Kenneth Blanchard
- "The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly."—Jim Rohn
- "As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others." —Bill Gates
- "The growth and development of people is the highest calling of leadership". —Harvey Firestone
- "The greatest leaders mobilize others by coalescing people around a shared vision". —Kenneth Blanchard
- "Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude."– Oprah Winfrey
- "Believe that there are no limitations, no barriers to your success – you will be empowered and you will achieve."- Ursula Burns
- "It's not the strongest or the most intelligent who survive, but those most adaptive to change. Over the past 10 years, the need for, and focus on, adaptability has accelerated."-Ken Chenault
- "Lead by listening – to be a good leader you have to be a great listener."- Richard Branson
- "Leaders don't create followers, they create more leaders."- Tom Peters
- "Your brand is what people say about you when you are not in the room." - Jeff Bezos
- "Diversity: the art of thinking independently together." - Malcolm Forbes